Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Madly

Today's Breakfast Topic over on WoW Insider asks us : Do you play with your significant other?

Yes, yes I do.

When I met Mad, he had just started playing the WoW beta. I knew nothing about gaming. The only games I had played were final fantasy 7, 8 and 9. Mad talked non-stop about raids, and instances, and dps, and all sorts of things I didn't understand. He seemed to be having a lot of fun, and every friday night he would be raiding with his guild. He often told me about Onyxia and UBRS and I honestly wasn't interested in hearing about it.

For a long time, WoW was for me something that prevented me from spending time with my boyfriend.

And someday, I can't remember whose idea it was, but there was a human mage that was created. Her name was Joriany. I ran around the Northshire Abbey and I got lost! (For something like a year I got lost a lot in Azeroth. Everywhere. Anywhere. If there were more than one way to go, you'd know I would take the wrong one.) But then I killed some wolf by throwing fire at them. And I ran accross Elwynn Forest, killing things and collecting items and got clothes to put on my lady mage. And then I went to Stormwind. 

Oh. My. GOD!

Yeah, and just like that, I was hooked. Haven't stopped ever since.

By the time I started playing, Mad had stopped and restarted playing. Burning Crusade was in full swing. Mad had picked some new server for us to start creating new characters (because in a fit of "I'm not playing this game ever again", Mad had deleted all his geared level 60 toons, along with all the money he had. Fat lot of good that did.) Mad has stopped playing many times over the years (we lost count), but he always came back. Probably because of me shoving it in his face all the time. And I have to admit, it's a lot more fun with him around.

If I had to pick someone that I admire the most as a player, it would be Mad. He patiently taught me everything about the game, helped me find my way when I got lost. Crafted me gear, gave me gold to buy shiny things I wanted. Created guilds for me, just because I liked a name. Got me into Naxx runs and taught me how to raid. 

He is good at everything he does. Healing, tanking, dpsing, he does it all the best he can. And that's usually a lot better than me. I'm an average player, all things considered, but Mad has that little something more that makes him a great player (maybe even an exceptional one but I might be biased). He puts a lot of effort into what he's doing, simply because he wants to be the best.

I'd follow him to a hardcore progression guild if that's where he wanted to go. I wouldn't - obviously - raid with said guild, but I'd stick with him and support him anyway I can. And I know he'd do the same for me, because he did. He followed me to a new server to raid with new people, and he'd do it again. Because WoW is something that we share and enjoy together. 

So yeah, I play with my SO, and I wouldn't have it any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment